Disable laptop touchpad

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 2 01:53:56 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited.  I can
>>  usually  fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second
>>  nature.  And then of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote
>>  that old saw about old dogs & new tricks.  Shrug.  I've been using vi,
>> or a clone of it, for at least 30 years.
>
>I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to.   But ditch it
> at the first opportunity....
>
>I'm 71 but have been working with computers all my 48 years of working
> life.

Your computer history goes back farther than mine then.

I cut my first code on an 8 bitter, the RCA 1802, in 78-79 while the ACE at a
northern Kalifornia tv station.  I guess it must have stood the test of time
because it was still in use when I was a dozen years down the road as the CE
of a WV CBS affiliate (WDTV) when I last checked.  I started out fixing the
neighbors tv's in '49, got tired of consumer electronics customer backlash
and switched to broadcasting in the early 60's, but did have an unusual
experience in '60.  I'd hired on as a bench tech at a little startup down on
Mission Bay that was fine tuning a small tv camera, much smaller than
anything on the market at the time, 2.5" in diameter, about 13" long, using
what was then a state of the art 7735A 1" vidicon tube. The idea was to lease
it to municipalities to be towed through sewers for inspection purposes.  We
had the 1st one almost working but parts were sticking out of it on long
leads when about 8:30 Monday morning a bunch of gold and silver from the Navy
walked in.  They asked how it did in low light, so we cleared a spot to lay
it in one of the bench drawers, did, and closed the drawer on the rg59 it was
running on.  A couple seconds for the autotarget to react and we were looking
at the grain pattern of the plywood back panel of the drawer at nearly full
brightness on the monitor.  "Sold, when can we have 2 of those, and BTW,
here's the plans for a pressure case and we will furnish the quartz windows
for them."  Those two cameras were on the Trieste when it went down in the
mohole in Feb. '61, and unlike the Trieste, worked flawlessly.  So I can
claim to have had fingerprints in both of those cameras that went a little
over 37k feet deep in the Marianas Trench, 49 years ago this month.  You can
look that up on wikipedia.  Unforch, we had no compact digital image storage
back then, so the pictures you saw in the encyclopedias were shot with small
film cameras from the monitor screens.  Not really hi-def, but those are the
only pictures from the mohole that exist, we've never been back to it.

Yup, by almost pure serendipity I've had other unique experiences.  Its been
one hell of a ride, but this train seems to be slowing down as the conductor
keeps eying my ticket. Being diabetic for the last 15 years, my warranty has
long since expired, but except for 3 times in my life, its been a great ride.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Your boss climbed the corporate ladder, wrong by wrong.