Disable laptop touchpad

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 1 18:39:43 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > If that is a synaptics touchpad, check dmesg to see how it signs
>> > in, there is a utility by the same name that sits in the dock
>> > that can enable or disable that touchpad.  First thing I
>> > install after a fresh install on my lappy.
>>
>> Just out of complete and utter curiosity, why do you guys need to
>> do this at all. I mostly use an external USB mouse as well with
>> my laptop, but I have never disabled the touchpad. It is
>> convenient for the 1% of the time I don't have the external
>> mouse. I've never had any sort of issue with both active at once
>> so I'm just curious as to why all the effort to turn it off ...
>
>If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
>position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
>Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
>get out of hand.
>
>  --Reinhold

Particularly when it switches screens on you in the middle of a word, or
hilights the whole damned page, which is then summarily erased by the next,
unstoppable in time, keystroke.  The English language at least, has only
about 1/3rd of the words in my 2 minute monologue when that happens, which is
probably just as well. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)