Kubuntu Maverick: how to disable there the touchpad while typing?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 18:33:41 UTC 2010

Hello Everybody

In a few preceding editions of Kubuntu, I used a simple, but effective
graphical tool to disable the touchpad while typing: "Touchfreeze". I I
refer to the touchpad at an Asus 1001 HA netbook with, at present, Kubuntu
10.10 and Win7 dual boot. In previous editions of Kubuntu, a few mouse
clicks were enough to enable or disable the touchpad via "Touchfreeze". Now,
I even cannot find this package any more in the repository. Also in the
newest version of the "Synaptics Touchpad" community documentation, I cannot
find it any more: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad
In theory, I still can use syndaemon for the same purpose, but this app is a
bit complicated and cumbersome. That's why I have been looking to the
following option:
K-menu > System Settings > Input devices > touchpad.
Initially, this menu did not work at all. But after using the Konsole
commands "xinput list" and "syndaemon", the touchpad menu started
identifying the touchpad and working with it
So far, I found there only a way to TOTALLY disable or enable the touchpad.
But this is not what I am looking for.
Additionally, I have chosen the lowest possible "touch sensitivity".
However, this did not solve the problem sufficiently. Still e.g. the K-Menu
or the Quick Access Browser suddenly and uncontrollably pop up -e.g. while
typing this message via Firefox. Also when working with OpenOffice or other
packages, I experience similar problems.  Do you have any clue how to deal
with this problem in a way similar to the one of "Touchfreeze"?

Thanks for replying.
Bas Roufs.