XORG problems in 10.10

cherryfinals cherryfinals at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 22:14:59 UTC 2010

I had a drive die on me the other day and installed Kubuntu 10.10 on the new one. Now, my system is all but unusable due to extremely high CPU usage.
I'm running an older ASUS mb with NVIDIA onboard and an AMD dual-core Athalon cpu. The system has 4Gb of ram and 1.5Tb of hd.
As soon as I try to open two or more windows, XORG jumps to 30% to 50%. Even running the mouse in circles will spike both CPUs at 100%.
I've already lost more than a day on this and hate the idea of having to reformat and drop back to 10.4 LTS.
Any suggestions?

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt