Has Kubuntu become less stable?

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 21:24:36 UTC 2010

On Sunday 26 Dec 2010 20:26:24 Doug wrote:

> >> pointing device.  (It comes naturally with XP. apparently, and synaptiks
> >> does it for
> >> PCLOS.) No Deb distro or spinoff has synaptiks or anything that works,
> >> altho they
> > Rubbish. I have synaptiks installed on Kubutnu 10.10 and it disables the trackpad exactly like you say.
> >
> > Nice rant, hope you feel better now :-)
> >
> > Mark
> >
> >> say they do. If I could get it working in MINT I might use that more.
> >>

> /snip/
> Of course it works--it's a KDE product, like Kubuntu.  I said a DEB distro.
> --doug

You said, and I quote, "No Deb distro or spinoff". Kubuntu is not a "KDE product", it's a distribution based on Ubuntu, which is a Debian-derived distribution. Kubuntu is therefore, in your specific parlance, a "Deb distro".

I have Kubuntu installed on my computer. I did "sudo apt-get install synaptik". This made synaptik inhabit my computer and the magic touchpad switchoff genie was installed. I don't know how this stuff works but there's magic dust involved somewhere I'm sure. Anyway, therefore, a "Deb distro" has been demonstrated to have synaptiks. Well, OK, I've demonstrated that is has 'synaptik' but it's definitely "something that works" which fulfills your requirements.

I rest my case, m'lud. I'd love to continue this thoroughly illuminating discussion but I have to go and sandpaper my beard for a week.

Mark