Has Kubuntu become less stable?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 06:39:29 UTC 2010

On 26/12/2010 00:31, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading
> complaints from people about how it had become less stable with
> successive releases.  I was mystified by these complaints because I
> found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable.  However, I was reminded of
> the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04.  When 10.10 came out, I did a
> clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to
> kruft.  A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number
> of problems I am experiencing.  I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the
> latest code would solve the problems.  It did not.  I guess I am going
> to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about
> Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same
> experience.
>
> Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having.  The most
> serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts
> consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally
> around 50).  I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this
> problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't
> catch the overheating quickly.
>
> An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not
> appear.  I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible.  I
> have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does
> appear.  I have had the X server lock several times.  Screen updates
> often do not occur properly.  For example, half a window might scroll
> while the other half does not.
>
> KOffice tools are seriously broken.  KOffice used to be a joy: simple
> to use and fast.  Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes
> about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I
> don't use and can't remove.  It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever
> I type anything so that the text is no longer visible.  Dates cannot be
> formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen
> the file).  KSpread seems unable to display the grid.  KNode was
> missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest
> upgrade.  On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some
> programs were on.
>
> And so on.  Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration
> in stability?
Well I am on 10.10 with KDE 4.5.4 and I think it is better than 10.04
was, I see none of your described problems. I am not using any Koffice
app though as it clearly is not ready for production and I need to be
able to save in MS office formats.

My only problems has to do with a weird intel video driver (external
monitor  headache, not my built-in laptop monitor) and that KMail eats
CPU sometimes (when fetching mail). I did upgrade the kernel though as I
had an issue with the kernel it is delivered with so I am on 2.6.36