Kubuntu/Ubuntu shutdown/reboot issue with gdm

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Dec 19 19:21:42 UTC 2010

Hi,
    I have installed Kubuntu 10.10 from the alternate cd, applied all
updates from the repositories, and installed gnome-desktop from the
repositories. When gdm was installed I selected it as the default
display manager. Having done this when I use it to start kde and
subsequently select shutdown or reboot a logout back to the gdm login
screen is issue instead. What needs to be done to investigate this?
    If this is not a known issue, it might be worth talking to Mandriva,
as they had this problem in their distro and fixed it several years ago.

regards,
Steve