KDE 4.6 Beta 2 and HAL

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 20:06:02 UTC 2010

Has anyone else been trying the release of KDE 4.6 Beta 2 that's in the Kubuntu PPA? So far it seems very stable to me but there's one problem. KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to run without HAL, but when I remove HAL from my laptop I get a message from PowerDevil saying it can't find any power management backends. It's supposed to be able to use upower now - which is installed - and indeed when running on battery with HAL installed I get two batteries displayed in PowerDevil which indicates it is detecting the battery via HAL and via upower - so why is it complaining about there being no working backends?

Mark