How to download Opera to Kubuntu 8.04 LTS?

Alvin info at alvin.be
Tue Dec 14 16:30:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 10:42:52 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Am Dienstag 14 Dezember 2010, um 09:52:23 schrieb Alvin:
> > On Saturday 11 December 2010 00:13:04 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> > > I would like to add Opera to this computer
> > > and have downloaded opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb.
> > >
> > > When I try to load the file with:
> > >    sudo dpkg -i opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb
> > >
> > > I get complaints that
> > > gstreamer0.10-plugins-good is not installed
> > > and the installation stops.
> > >
> > > There doesn't seem to be any such package in the repositories when I
> > > invoke
> > >
> > >     aptitude -vv show
> > >
> > > which usually works to give information about a package in the
> > > repositories.
> > >
> > > How can I install Opera?
> >
> > It's in main (maverick):
> > $ aptitude show gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> >
> > So, just run:
> > $ sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
>
> According to the subject, he wants it for hardy, not maverick. According to
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it's in the
> main security repo, which suggests that he isn't getting any security
> updates, which I would see as a bigger problem than not being able to
> install opera...

Oops, I read over that. I'm using Opera since before hardy, so yes, the
necessary packages should be available on all Ubuntu versions.

If you install Opera, it'll also create cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu/Hardy for adding
main back to your sources.