Activities

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Sat Dec 4 02:43:25 UTC 2010

Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2010, um 03:24:22 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> Keep trying but I just can't see the point of activities, they don't appear
> to bring anything to the table that Virtual Screen didn't, apart from the
> ability to have different widgets on different screens - whoopdy doo.
>
> I have yet to see a concise description of what activities are or a  decent
> tutorial.
>
> Problems:
> - The Activities editor crashes *extremely* regularly.
>
> - The Activities tab is only usable in a horizontal orientation. This is a
> real waste of real estate on Widescreen Monitors
>
> - Same applies to the default panel for that matter

Activities really only provide different widgets and wallpapers. While that
isn't neccessarily useful to everybody, I kinda like grouping those widgets in
different activities. For example, I have one activity where I have lots of
folder widgets with the contents of my current courses at university, one with
a huge comic widget and some links to games for relaxation and one for work-
related stuff.
That way, my desktop isn't so crammed and I don't need to resort to that
stupid one-activity-per-virtual-desktop hack.

  --Reinhold