OT:Suggestions for low power small size builds?

Brian Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 1 16:05:11 UTC 2010

On 01/12/10 04:10, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> I put together a Atom 510/Mini FoxConn box for the wife and we both love the
> small footprint, low power consumption and*quietness*
>
> I want something like that for me only gruntier for doing those long KDE trunk
> builds ... Maybe this isn't possible ...
>
> Currently I have a AMD Dual Core 4200+ with 2GB Ram and it feels underpowered,
> a Atom isn't going to cut it.
>
> Getting lost in all the various CPU/Mobo combos one can do, I like the look of
> the Athlon II X2 235E - only 45W but all the Micro/Mini AM3 Mobo's seem to use
> ATI chipsets and I'd really prefer NVidia.
>
> Any suggestions? Maybe I could get the Athlon II and  AM3 Mobo and add a
> Nvidia Video Card

Have a look at Asus, I know they do motherboards with 'on-board' nVidia
graphics chipsets, I know they do a potent laptop with a long battery
life. My DIY Asus motherboard is a 64bit AMD with on-board graphics/
audio/ethernet by NVIDIA but what Asus do in the low power area I
haven't looked at. Look at < http://usa.asus.com/>
brian