is it Kubuntu or is it KDE?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 06:23:53 UTC 2010

On 29/08/2010 22:28, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't want to start a flame here, just to discuss and share opinions on my
> favorite (until now) desktop and distribution. At the moment I'm running
> kubuntu 10.04 with kde 4.5.
> I've been running KDE since version 1 and never left it to switch to another
> desktop, even when the "not-so-usable" 4.0 issued. I personally believe KDE is
> the best desktop ever made, with ideas 100 steps behind other desktops. Plasma
> is amazing in concept, QT are wonderful to use and develop, the desktop is
> fully integrated, KMail and Kontact are the best mail&  pim program I've ever
> seen.
> However, in the last kubuntu releases I'm having too much problems, and I
> don't understand if it is the distro or the desktop. My audio is not working
> at all, the network applet is unable to connect me to a not WPA2-PSK access
> point, my broadband modem is recognized, but does not work, and in general the
> desktop is too much slow when switching between applications. Moreover,
> konqueror is freezing sometimes and making the whole desktop locked for almost
> a minute. Finally, amarok fails to tag my mp3s without errors. All the above
> has been reported to this mailing list.
>

> Now, just to give it a try, I installed the gnome desktop and...everything
> worked fine: the modem, the audio, the network applet and most notably all the
> desktop effects were running smooth.
> This led me to think that the problem is not in the desktop itself, but maybe
> in the distro, that is not giving to the desktop the same care as the gnome
> counterpart. I personally don't like gnome very much, because I believe KDE is
> too much better. I don't like the file manager, the menu without the search
> (that is an upcoming of gnome 3) and in general the look and feel. However, my
> desktop as it is now is almost unusable for me, so I'm considering switching
> to something that "just works".

I can tell you I share your concerns and thoughts. Not about switching
desktop but maybe distro. For me the switch to 10.04 have been nothing
but troublesome. Unfortunately it seems the hardware on my new laptop is
too new for Karmic (that I had working nicely) as I get no graphics at
all when I try a liveCD.

But in 10.04 I have graphic driver problems, sleep function is erratic,
hibernate does not work at all, cpu consumption seems higher than it
should be, battery life shorter than it should be etc etc.

I have a feeling from "running around the net" that many issues relate
to the kernel chosen for Lucid so I hope that if I hang in there for
Maverick things will get back to functional.

But if Maverick does not do it for me then I will absolutely go
PCLinuxOS or Fedora or something and at least give it a spin.

Note this is not meant to insult developers/maintainers - but to me I do
not quite see how 10.04 can be LTS material. And I raised that issue
even before it was released as I was concerned over the mismatch in
timing between Ubuntu and KDE releases.

Best,
Sinclair