NVIDIA driver causes kernel freeze

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Aug 26 01:36:27 UTC 2010

On 25/08/10 15:49, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 15:36 +1000, Steve Morris wrote:

>>> I had to use the "Nvidia Xserver settings" app that gets installed along
>>> with nvidia (look in systems in your applications launcher) to set my
>>> monitor (by autodetect) and write a new xorg.conf file. Once I did that,
>>> I'm back in business.
>>>

>> For me that didn't work because it did not put the necessary modeset
>> statements into xorg.conf to enable proper resolution/refresh rates for
>> my monitor, so I had to start with an xorg.conf that I knew did work
>> correctly.
>>
> I have a "plug n play" monitor that identifies itself and is detected by
> the nvidia setup thingie. Before I ran it, I had a sparse bare little
> xorg.conf file. After I ran it, it's now populated with the entries I
> used to have to make by hand. YMMV, Ric

My monitor is detected automatically and correctly by ubuntu, but the
monitor is internally optimised for 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, but with the
xorg.conf the nvidia utility creates the drivers want to run the monitor
at 1280x1024 @ 50Hz which pushes the display off the left hand edge of
the monitor. Consequently I have to put the modeset statements in by
hand to get things to run properly.

regards,
Steve