NVIDIA driver causes kernel freeze

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 25 12:29:04 UTC 2010

On 25/08/2010 22:02, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Thomas Olsen <tanghus at gmail.com
> <mailto:tanghus at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My PC recently died so now I'm running a very old box that has an
>     nVidia Corporation NV35 [GeForce FX 5900] (rev a1) as reported by
>     lspci.
>     X default to using the nouveau driver that is extremely slow.
>     I tried installing the binary driver using System/Hardware Drivers
>     but this causes a kernel freeze as seen below. I had to boot up
>     from the Alternate CD to manually remove the driver - and rename
>     xorg.conf.
>
>     I can see that the kernel nicely suggests a way to get around it
>     but I'm a bit unsure exactly which steps to follow. lsmod doesn't
>     report any of rivafb, rivatv or nvidiafb as loaded when using the
>     nouveau driver.
>

> Apparently it's a total no-go combo with this card and the binary
> drivers. I just spend 2 hrs. trying everything I could think of but
> the kernel freezes even before X starts.
>
> Thanks for all the help guys but I guess I'll have to find some other
> card.

Whoa! Don't be so hasty! :-) .

If you say that it is the FX5900 card then it is a PCI Express card -
and it is not THAT old! :-)

According to the nVidia site the driver for it is the 173.14.27 which
was only upgraded at the beginning of this month (4 August). The driver
is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-173.14.27-driver.html

(assuming that you are using a 32-bit system, otherwise look for the
64-bit driver).

For my money, if you are "freezing" even before X starts then there is
some other problem - but I am only guessing.

And you do know that the kernel was upgraded earlier today? Is your
system up-to-date?

BC

--
Gumperson's Law: The probability of anything happening is in
inverse proportion to its desirability.