[OFFTOPIC] Re: where do I find w32 codecs and java

Pablo Barrera pablobarrera315 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 23:16:17 UTC 2010

Ok, this is a nice thread for proper discuss, but its not technical indeed,
so i put [OFFTOPIC] to not disturb the
mailing list.

2010/8/23 Alan Dacey <grokit at ajinfosearch.com>

> On Sunday, August 22, 2010 08:13:51 pm Pablo Barrera wrote:
> > The answer is easy

> > > Due to legal reasons Ubuntu does not ship with them available
> > > (why exclude them but include Mono is a mystery to me).
> > >

> > because Mono is a GPL implementation of .NET and the codecs are
> "components"
> > with restricted patents.
> > Mono is an "implementation" of .NET framework and its free.
> >

> > regards
> > P.
>
> All true, but there are key parts that are not free.  They are only free to
> Novell customers.

true, the politics of Novell was clear two years ago, about the direction of
Novell in terms of Linux
a mix between free and non free software ( they say open source indeed ).

> Just wait, what is happening now with Java between Oracle and Google will
> happen with
> Microsoft and any distro that packages anything Mono-based.  It should be
> in the non-free
> repository where it belongs.  I'm just glad that KDE doesn't use it as a
> default like Gnome.
> I'm not even very against Mono, I just choose not to use it.

yes, is good the "no dependance" of some free packages ties in some form to
non free software. Anyway I think that
mono can kick the table one day, and get more protagonism if, Microsoft, i.e
falls as enterprise...The spirit behind MONO
IMHO is to show that its possible to create kick ass apps based on "classic
software business" without closing the sourcode.

Is good to separate Mono Project and OpenSUSE project from Novell Itself.
One day Novell coudl fall and OpenSUSE will continue to
grow. As Fedora original founder in Argentina, i can say that in red hat
arena theres sucha a kind of "legend" that RHEL is not compile on a free
compiler. So the non free software particition will always be present in
corporate issues.

I think that today, we have two clear positions about this, Im writing a
post on my brand new blog about floss thoughts.

The  "Buntu" position : " Non free is ugly, but use it 95%free 5%non free
until free formats succeded" Small Moves, Ally! (Contact 1997)
The  "Stallman" position "Non free is bad, dont use it, or you are another
slave".Nothing is free until i declare it free.

Both position are valid, and has their own "reasonable" reasons :) , from my
point of view, walk between both is a plus.

About Oracle, the dead of Java is coming faster and faster, but we still
have python, php, C++ and others. Was spected from
that Larry ellison position, would be "destroy open source",  because "cloud
computing" is making the war between free and non free an "old war of
geeks". This is not good. But we have two battlefronts: The old times "local
PC concept" and the future "cloud life" coming faster each day.

About Kubuntu, I think that need a lot of help, to make an improve on the
version, and get more help from Cannonical. But the way to get this, is stay
focus on KDE as a platform, in spite of the distro behind. Sharing knowledge
about KDE as a wonderful desktop experience, will help Kubuntu to grow!

Too much politic this thread, but this was nice to talk about

Regards

P.