Total kmail weirdness

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 20:33:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger at web.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2010, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> Okay, y'all were so helpful with my last kmail problem I thought
>> I'd try again.
>>
>> You know how the message list in kmail is colored, with red
>> meaning new and unread, blue is unread, and black is read mail?
>> Well, when my wife (real--it's not me.  I swear!) clicks the
>> delete message button, all the red lines disappear!  The first
>> time it happened she freaked, thinking that everything was lost.
>> She checked the Trash and they aren't there.  Went back to the
>> inbox and they were all back again.
>>
>> This is reproducible on her system.   I can't reproduce it on
>> mine.
>>
>> Anyone ever see that?  It's very disturbing.
>
> a) Is her system definitely up-to-date? Is yours?

Yes, we are both up to date.  This all came about because I upgraded
her from 9.04 to 10.04 with the KDE 4.5 from PPA.

> b) Was the deleted message by any chance the last one in the list? If
>   so, there is currently a bug in kmail that makes it jump to the
>   top of the list when you do anything to the last message that
>   would normally move the focus to the next message.

Yes, I've noticed that.  :(  Very annoying.  And combined with the
fact that the cursor moves off the screen as you delete messages,
rather than staying put as it should), it becomes almost impossible to
avoid.  But her message was not the last in the list.  I'll double
check, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

> c) if it isn't b), are the messages actually removed from the view?
>   Or are they simply marked black until you change folders to
>   another folder and back?

No, they really went away.

> If it's either c) or none of these options, you should probably file
> a bug report.

Yes, I will.  But I hate filing bugs that I can't reproduce.  But I
will if I have to.  But then the question is when to stop?  I have so
much trouble with 4.5, I could file a dozen--I just don't know how to
reproduce most of them.

Thanks for the good ideas,

Michael