Java wants to download an older version

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 05:17:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 06:38 +0200, Perry wrote:
> Le Tuesday 17 August 2010 23.27:07 Ric Moore, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
> > On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 21:31 +0200, Perry wrote:
> > > @ Ric Moore

> > > Thanks Ric, but my problem is not about installing anything, it is about
> > > not installing anything I shouldn't need to install.
> >
> > I meant the java program that you wish to run, that wants an older
> > version of Java. Can you get the source of that program, recompile it
> > with ant, instead of installing an older version of Java ...which might
> > gum up everything else running with your newer version of Java. I use a
> > very java intensive program named Wonderland. They distribute binaries,
> > for the faint of heart, or the source code, which needs merely to be
> > compiled. I have to use svn to get the latest trunk, which is no big
> > deal. I then have the latest and greatest, built against my current
> > version of Java. Just a thought and a suggestion, Ric
> >
> Oh, I understand, very interesting suggestion.
> I could try but I'm not sure the guy who wrote (is still writing) the program
> wants to share the code (now), and not sure he cares enough for linux to spend
> much time.
> OTOH he probably would be happy If we could find out what the problem is, or if
> he could reassure the user about this warning in the case Michael was right :
> >>I haven't used jnlp much, but I doubt if it is integrated into the
> >>debian packaging system.  I suspect it was going to download java 1.5
> >>and put it somewhere, but not do an official install.
>
> What I will do is probably to try it on my old Jaunty partition, it is waiting
> to be replaced by some newer version and I don't care much about it.

Let me know how it plays out. Since most java stuff is pretty much cross
platform, it's less a matter of whether he's interested in Linux as if
he will let you have the code. If it's an open source/development
project, a nightly build is usually available from the website. Then you
just compile it. If it's a closed project, you're stuck. Ric