USB headphone + microphone

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Aug 15 07:45:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 03:34, Nigel Ridley <nigel at prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> On 08/14/2010 09:06 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> I don't really know a whole lot about this, but I'd assume that you
>>> have to choose the USB device as output device in system settings.
>>
>> When pulse is set up correctly, it's a piece of cake to select your
>> sound input/output with pavucontrol. It's when you crank up kmix and the
>> rest that the pavucontrol settings get ginked up. Either KDE should
>> support pulse or ditch it, because a hodgepodge of controls gets messy.
>> Ric
>>

> So you're saying that unless I want to mess about and wipe alsa and install pulse, then the usb
> headphone set won't work?
> I really hope that KDE/Kubuntu get things right this coming release!!

Wipe Alsa certainly not, it is the basic sound framework, even Pulse
can't work without  that :)

I have a wireless USB headset here I don't use very often as those are
rather uncomfortable, but I didn't have to install Pulseaudio to make
those work, just fiddle in KMix to make sure I have all channels
activated..

What Ric tries to say is that if you have a running Pulseaudio you
need to set up your headset with pavucontrol and shouldn't use KMix
for that.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org