multiple instances of kate?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:18:42 UTC 2010

Jonas Norlander said the following at 08/09/2010 01:41 PM :
> 2010/8/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
>> Perhaps I'm simply inept with google, but I couldn't find an answer to this
>> seemingly-simple question.
>>
>> Every time I edit a file with kate (64-bit lucid), it opens the file in a
>> currently-running instance (if there is one, of course). How do I force a
>> new instance of kate to be started?
>>

> Hi
>
> There is an option you can use to get a new instance of Kate.
> "kate --help" from command lione gives "-n, --new  Force start of a
> new kate instance (is ignored if start is used and another kate
> instance already has the given session opened), forced if no
> parameters and no URLs are given at all"

Thank you very much.

FWIW, both "--help" and "--new" seem to be missing from the man page, so
it's not obvious how a user is supposed to discern this stuff (apart from
asking here).

(There are pointers on the man page to "further information" and "detailed
user documentation", but one hardly expects valid options to be completely
absent from the man page.

Further, there is a "-u" documented on the man page, which tells kate to
use a currently-running instance... it seems rather odd design to define
and document an option that simply provides the default behaviour, and to
fail to document an option that provides the non-default behaviour.)

  Doc

PS The "-b" option you mention is also noticeably absent from the man page.
Perhaps I'm the only person left in the world who goes to man pages to see
how to use a command.

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR