Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, ... Will this _fix_ wifi? ; jor kubuntu

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sun Aug 8 03:10:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:57:00 +0200, "Nils Kassube" <kassube at gmx.net>
said:
> giovanni_re wrote:
> I suggested that you install the gnome nm-applet, did you try that?

What is the correct name?  That isn't in the apt-cache.
- See the apt-cache searches at the end of this email.

> extra repositories because there aren't any. All Ubuntu flavours are in
> the same place and all the packages are available in all flavours.
> However, your package manager may not show everything if it is that one
> for KDE (sorry, I don't remember the name because I use synaptic
> instead). To get the gnome package (and remove the KDE packages), you
> can use the command line (konsole) with these commands (but I didn't
> check if this works - it is from memory):
>
> sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
> sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> nm-applet &

1) Order reversed? - Did you mean to put the install before the remove?
Shouldn´t the remove be done before the install

2) "nm-applet"?  That isn't in apt-cache search

3) Was there a line break problem there?  What was to be done with the
nm-applet?

4) What was the "&" after the nm-applet?

5) plasma-widget-networkmanagement  isn't installed on my system

> Now you should have the extra icon for the gnome network manager in your
> system tray.

So, this get's the gnome network manager stuff in.
Is it your belief that this should result in properly working  _wifi_?

Thanks.

:~/apt# dpkg -l | grep network
ii  avahi-autoipd                        0.6.25-1ubuntu6
                Avahi IPv4LL network address configuration d
ii  ifupdown                             0.6.8ubuntu29
                high level tools to configure network interf
ii  iproute                              20091226-1
                networking and traffic control tools
ii  iputils-ping                         3:20071127-2ubuntu1
                Tools to test the reachability of network ho
ii  iputils-tracepath                    3:20071127-2ubuntu1
                Tools to trace the network path to a remote
ii  libnm-glib2                          0.8-0ubuntu3
                network management framework (GLib shared li
ii  libnm-util1                          0.8-0ubuntu3
                network management framework (shared library
ii  libqt4-network                       4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
                Qt 4 network module
ii  libqtscript4-network                 0.1.0-3build1
                Qt Script bindings for the Qt 4 Network libr
ii  libsolidcontrol4                     4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Library for solid based network management
ii  libsolidcontrolifaces4               4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Library for solid based network interface ma
ii  net-tools                            1.60-23ubuntu2
                The NET-3 networking toolkit
ii  netbase                              4.35ubuntu3
                Basic TCP/IP networking system
ii  network-manager                      0.8-0ubuntu3
                network management framework daemon
ii  network-manager-kde                  1:0.9~svn1112085-0ubuntu4
                KDE system tray applet for controlling Netwo
ii  network-manager-pptp                 0.8-0ubuntu3
                network management framework (PPTP plugin)
ii  network-manager-pptp-gnome           0.8-0ubuntu3
                network management framework (PPTP plugin, G
ii  python-wicd                          1.7.0+ds1-2
                wired and wireless network manager - Python
ii  tcpdump                              4.0.0-6ubuntu3
                A powerful tool for network monitoring and d
ii  wicd                                 1.7.0+ds1-2
                wired and wireless network manager - metapac
ii  wicd-daemon                          1.7.0+ds1-2
                wired and wireless network manager - daemon
ii  wicd-gtk                             1.7.0+ds1-2
                wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ cl

:~/apt# apt-cache search network-manager
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
network-manager - network management framework daemon
network-manager-dev - network management framework (development files)
network-manager-gnome - network management framework (GNOME frontend)
network-manager-kde - KDE system tray applet for controlling
NetworkManager
network-manager-pptp - network management framework (PPTP plugin)
network-manager-pptp-gnome - network management framework (PPTP plugin,
GNOME UI)
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
gnome-main-menu - GNOME start menu applet
netscript-2.4-upstart - Linux 2.4/2.6 router/firewall/VM host network
config. system.
network-manager-openconnect - network management framework (Openconnect
plugin)
network-manager-openconnect-gnome - network management framework
(Openconnect plugin, GNOME UI)
network-manager-openvpn - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin)
network-manager-openvpn-gnome - network management framework (OpenVPN
plugin, GNOME UI)
network-manager-openvpn-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure
(OpenVPN plugin)
network-manager-pptp-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure (PPTP
plugin)
network-manager-strongswan - network management framework (strongSwan
plugin)
network-manager-vpnc - network management framework (VPNC plugin)
network-manager-vpnc-gnome - network management framework (VPNC plugin,
GNOME UI)
network-manager-vpnc-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure (VPNC
plugin)
strongswan-nm - strongSwan plugin to interact with NetworkManager

:~/apt# apt-cache search plasma-widget-networkmanagement
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
plasma-widget-networkmanagement-dbg - debugging symbols for KDE Network
Management

:~/apt# dpkg -l | grep plasma
ii  kdebase-plasma                       4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                Transitional package for plasma-widget-folde
ii  libplasma-applet-system-monitor4     4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Library for the plasma system monitor
ii  libplasma-geolocation-interface4     4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Library for the plasma geolocation
ii  libplasma3                           4:4.4.2-0ubuntu4
                library for the KDE 4 Plasma desktop
ii  libplasmaclock4                      4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Library for the plasma clock
ii  libplasmagenericshell4               4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                shared elements for all the plasma shells
ii  plasma-dataengines-addons            4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                addons for KDE 4 Plasma - data engines
ii  plasma-dataengines-workspace         4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                KDE 4 base workspace Plasma data engines
ii  plasma-desktop                       4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and lap
ii  plasma-scriptengine-javascript       4:4.4.2-0ubuntu4.1
                javascript script engine for Plasma
ii  plasma-scriptengine-python           4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                Python script engine for Plasma
ii  plasma-widget-facebook               1.0-0ubuntu1
                Plasma Widget for Facebook Updates
ii  plasma-widget-folderview             4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                Folder View Plasma widget
ii  plasma-widget-kimpanel               4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input me
ii  plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus  4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input me
ii  plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback       0.2-0ubuntu1
                Kubuntu feedback plasma widget
ii  plasma-widget-message-indicator      0.5.4-0ubuntu1
                A Plasma applet to display message indicator
ii  plasma-widget-quickaccess            0.8.1-0ubuntu4
                An alternate folder display plasma widget
ii  plasma-widgets-addons                4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                addons for KDE 4 Plasma - widgets
ii  plasma-widgets-workspace             4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
                KDE 4 base workspace Plasma widgets and cont

:~/apt# apt-cache search plasma-widget
kdebase-plasma - Transitional package for plasma-widget-folderview.
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
plasma-widget-facebook - Plasma Widget for Facebook Updates
plasma-widget-folderview - Folder View Plasma widget
plasma-widget-ktorrent - KTorrent Plasma widget
plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback - Kubuntu feedback plasma widget
plasma-widget-message-indicator - A Plasma applet to display message
indicators
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
plasma-widget-networkmanagement-dbg - debugging symbols for KDE Network
Management
plasma-widget-quickaccess - An alternate folder display plasma widget
plasma-widgets-workspace - KDE 4 base workspace Plasma widgets and
containments
plasma-widget-adjustableclock - plasma widget clock to show date and
time
plasma-widget-bkodama - Friendly kodama wandering on the desktop
plasma-widget-cpuload - Plasma widget that displays CPU Load
plasma-widget-customizable-weather - a weather plasma widget that is
highly customizable
plasma-widget-daisy - Simple application launcher
plasma-widget-drop2ftp - plasmoid for copy files with every protocol
plasma-widget-droptoimageshack - plasma widget which can upload images
to Imageshack.us
plasma-widget-fancytasks - Plasma widget for representing tasks and
launchers
plasma-widget-flickr - A Flickr Plasma widget for KDE
plasma-widget-fortunoid - plasmoid that shows a quote
plasma-widget-googlecalendar - Plasma Widget for Google calendar
plasma-widget-kbstate - A plasma widget that shows the state of the
modifier keys
plasma-widget-kepas - KDE Easy Publish and Share - Plasmoid
plasma-widget-lastmoid - lastfm widget which displays the weekly artist
chart
plasma-widget-logout - logout button on the desktop or panel
plasma-widget-mail - a Plasma widget that checks for new mail
plasma-widget-makestatus - Plasma widget that shows the status of CMake
builds
plasma-widget-memusage - plasma widget that displays ram and swap usage
plasma-widget-nextwallpaper - plasmoid that changes the current
wallpaper
plasma-widget-pgame - Plasma widget for running games
plasma-widget-playwolf - Controller and a visualizer plasma widget for
Amarok
plasma-widget-runcommand - plasmoid to run commands
plasma-widget-searchmoid - searchbar plasma widget for KDE
plasma-widget-simplemonitor - simple and compact system monitor
plasma-widget-smooth-tasks - alternate task manager Plasma widget
plasma-widget-stockquote - plasma widget which displays stock quotes
plasma-widget-system-status - monitors the average cpu usage
plasma-widget-teacooker - A Teacooker plasma widget for KDE 4
plasma-widget-tictactoe - tic tac toe game for plasma desktop
plasma-widget-toggle-compositing - A plasma widget for toggling desktop
effects
plasma-widget-translatoid - translation widget for KDE Plasma
plasma-widget-tvprogramme - simple XMLTV reader plasma widget
plasma-widget-weatherforecast - weather Plasma widget that shows the
forecast and temperature
plasma-widget-wifi - A Plasma widget that displays WiFi connection
strength
plasma-widget-xbar - Topscreen menubar and simple taskbar Plasma widget
plasma-widget-yawp - Yet Another Weather Plasmoid fetches weather
forecasts for you
plasma-widget-kimpanel - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input
method widget
plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus - addons for KDE 4 Plasma -
universal input method widget
plasma-widget-lancelot - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - lancelot widget
plasma-widgets-addons - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - widgets
plasma-widget-kdeobservatory - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - KDE development
tracking tool

:~/apt# apt-cache search nm-applet
{nothing}

:~/apt# apt-cache search applet | grep nm
connman-gnome - Intel Connection Manager gnome applet
gnome-inm-forecast - the Spanish weather forecast applet for the GNOME
panel
xfce4-goodies - enhancements for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment

:~/apt# apt-cache search applet | grep network
network-manager-gnome - network management framework (GNOME frontend)
network-manager-kde - KDE system tray applet for controlling
NetworkManager
gpe-mininet - network connectivity monitor for GPE
netapplet - User-friendly network interface control applet
wmifs - WindowMaker dock app for monitoring network traffic

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture