32- or 64-bit

Clay Weber claydoh at claydoh.com
Sat Aug 7 00:36:04 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 06, 2010 05:05:29 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Right,
> >
> > new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
> > and what what.
> >
> > So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
> > future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
> > not quite there if I get it?
> >
> > is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?
> >
> > Opinions on speed, compatibility issues etc most welcome!
>
> Currently my computer has 4Gb and 64bit KK installed. Since i frequently
> execute java-based applications, like Eclipse, Ant, ExecuteQuery, I feel
> that it is choking. Probably because these applications consume too much
> memory. Earlier, i had 32-bit kubuntu on this computer. I didn't notice
> difference when moved to 64-bit .
>
> For my next installation(10.10?), I'm going to move back to 32bit

I use my 64 bit system as a Boxee/Hulu/Xbmc box, but after having flash issues
I swithed to 32 bit

I have 4 gb ram, so the installer automatically installed the pae kernel that
provides 32bit systems the ability to use all the ram

In a normal 'buntu 64 bit system, it is utilizing the 32-bit binaries using
the nspluginwrapper to allow flash to work in 64bit systems. I found this to be
a problem on my system trying to run Boxee, even using the the-available 64-
bit flash from Adobe.

for the use I am making of that system, I cannot tell any difference in
performance, other than stable flash

clay