32- or 64-bit

lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 06:36:05 UTC 2010

On Friday 06/08/2010 at 4:22 pm, O. Sinclair  wrote:
> Right,
>
> new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
> and what what.
>
> So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
> future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
> not quite there if I get it?
>
> is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?

'Buntu is definitely 64 bit ready.

However flash isn't. If you need flash support in your browser - which
is needed for just about any commercial website these days then 64bit
will give you a world of headaches, pretty much unusable, either
doesn't work, crashes or works very erratically.

Everything else is pretty good. However I doubt you'll notice much
speed increase. Unless you have a pressing need for 64bit, such as
large amounts of ram, I'd stick with 32bit.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/