Kubuntu 10.04 How to create an icon on desktop?

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Wed Aug 4 22:55:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 06:09:32 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 03:48 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> >> Where are menu entries kept?
> >
> > Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop
> >
> >> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?
> >
> > If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
> > somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'
> >
> >> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
> >> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
> > programs from there (among other things)
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
> >
> > Clay
> >

> Thanks for your reply Clay.
>
> Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
> box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
> on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
> right.  The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.
>
> I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.
>
> One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
> and it's hard to see what things are.  I tried to change to Air Panel
> Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.
>
> 10.04 is very different than 8.04 which I used happily for 2 years.
>
> There seems to be very little on the K menu to drag and drop.
> Shouldn't a new entry appear on K menu when I load a new program with
> apt-get?
>
> Larry

You also may want to try out the Lancelot menu.  It makes a lot more sense to me
than the default menu and does more things better than the classic menu.  Install
the package 'plasma-widget-lancelot' and then add it from the widgets (click on the
cashew when unlocked).  It also has krunner integrated on the top.

--
Alan

"Now no one has to tell an old Aberdeene pub-crawler how to applaud, captain."
Montgomery Scott