Root unable to change ownership and modify permissions

William Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 07:41:06 UTC 2010

On 20/04/10 09:52, Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM, I Am Me <theunknownandrew at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> /**
>> * Replying to - Re: Root unable to change ownership and modify permissions
>> * from : M Thomason <matt at warpedcore.net> sent on Tuesday 20 Apr 2010 @
>> 10:46:45 am
>> */
>>> Is /media/Andrew by any chance a removable disk/USB device? (making the
>>> assumption due to it being mounted in /media) - if so, have you checked
>>> how it is mounted, and that it is formatted with a filesystem which
>>> supports permissions - I'm almost tempted to ask if it is a FAT32 memory
>>> stick or a windows partition, but wouldn't want to unintentionally
>>> insult you ;)
>>>
>>> Either way, would help to know how /media/Andrew is mounted
>>>

>> Its a NTFS formatted partition on my on-board 80 GB HDD
>>
> Ahh,,, IIRC NTFS does not speak permissoins....

well... NTFS does have permissions, but Linux does not support them,
only Windows deal with them, and they are *very* different than the
permissions model of Linux.
but... while mounting, we have the option to make the whole partition
act as if owned by a certain uid.
in his example, he would have to mount it, while in "iamme":

sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /media/Andrew -t ntfs-3g -o rw,uid=`id -u`,gid=`id -g`

this will mount the partition, and all files in it will have the UID and
GID of iamme, if you know what the UID and GID are (first user is
usually 1000), just put them in their place in the command
(,uid=xxxx,gid=xxxx).

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems