Impressions of Lucid Beta

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 13:46:08 UTC 2010

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday, April 19, 2010, H van Rensburg wrote:
>> These are my impressions of Lucid beta or the upcoming 10.04. Decided to
>> post it here because it has several serious problems and anybody upgrading
>> should be careful.
>>
>> The issues I found are:
>>
>> 1. Grub is broken. If you have a dual boot configuration with win, do not
>> upgrade. You will get kubuntu 10.04 and can see win in the grub menu, but
>> it only resets the computer if chosen.
>>

> Not here on at least  4 machines.   Works as it always did.
>

>> 2. Kontact is broken. The akonadi server does not start and you will not
>> have access to your contacts.
>
> I had the Kontact problem.  Removed Akonadi and re-installed.  Works ok now.
>
>> 3. Networking is broken. Samba cannot be installed due to unmet
>> dependencies. This means you will not be able to share files, see other
>> computers on your network or print to a network printer.
>
> Samba running fine here on several machines.
>

>> 4. I also found several smaller problem of programs (Dolphin and others)
>> which crashes and have to be restarted.
>>

> Don't use Dolphin
>
>> Did reports all the bugs. Hope it saves someone some time here as the final
>> release data is around the corner on 29 April and there are a lot of work
>> to do to fix these.
>
> I think you are trashing a good release.  I have no outstanding problems.

I am also running the beta on 3-4 computers (desktops) by now and can
report only one of your issues. However on these I do not use
KMail/Kontact. I have disabled both Akonadi and Nepomuk as otherwise you
can fall asleep while trying to get anything done on these Intel P4 w
512 Mb RAM. And that is my main gripe - Nepomuk might be great but seems
to be a resource hogger.

As for networking I had to put fixed IP numbers on them to "see" each
other so you might  be correct there. I still have  a nagging feeling
that (K) Ubuntu should have waited for KDE SC 4.5 before release even if
that means getting out of sync with Ubuntu major.