What are the differences between linux-generic and linux image?

Mirto Silvio Busico mirtosilvio.busico at fastwebnet.it
Wed Apr 14 08:49:18 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the latest kernel for lucid (because I ecountered bug
#561278).

I have found that there are 2 packages with the same description ('This
package will always depend on the latest generic Linux kernel image
available.'):

    * linux-generic
    * linux-image

I have linux-generic installed; but I see that linux-generic installs
kernel: linux-image-2.6.32-20-generic

I also see that there is a newer linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic image

What have I to do in order to install the latest image?

Thanks
     Mirto