How to rescue my data files before reconfiguring the 2 HD's of my desktop PC?!

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 10 08:16:13 UTC 2010

Le Friday 09 April 2010 16.31:50 Bas Roufs, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :

> >> Attempts to repair the grub of the Kubuntu 9.10 partition at the
> >> desktop via a "grub rescue cd" finally failed yesterday - (snip)
> >
> > (snip)

From a prior related trhread
(see :Re: "Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu
Karmic/ WinXP)  Date : Wednesday 21.51:33 and Thursday 16.20.10)
>"An error occurred while accessing ' Volume (ext3)', the system responded:
>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: wrong fs
>type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or
>helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in
>syslog – try dsmeg I tail or so."
and
>When using the live CD of Kubuntu, I can get access to everywhere,
>except the partition with Kubuntu 9.10, where I have my most recent
>files....That's why I am wondering wether the live CD of Knoppix or
>the live USB from Puppy Linux or any other live version of some distro
>can help me to rescue those data.

I infer the partition and possibly whole drive are severely corrupt. A Grub
rescue CD cannot fix this,.
What may be worth trying is a good disk recovery tool.
Among others, from google I found <http://www.linuxdiskrecovery.com/>, that
says:
"Linux Data Recovery Software by Recover Data Labs to salvage & recover linux
files from damaged or corrupt partition having Ext2, Ext3 File system."
Or try another recovery tool.

Further consideration:
I have a vague feeling that what needs to be repaired first is at a very low
level, not the files or file system, but the drive itself. I'd pay attention to
this "bad superblock on /dev/sdb1" because (I believe) something at the
beginning of a drive describes how the extended partition and the logical
partitions within are organized, and it got corrupted.

I am really sorry not to be able to provide more help; I have no hard
knowledge on the subject, only notions I've red here and there.

Anda perlu banyak 	keberuntungan
(good luck)

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #234: Someone is broadcasting pygmy packets and the router doesn't
know how to deal with them