"Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu Karmic/ WinXP)

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Apr 8 09:59:42 UTC 2010

On 04/08/2010 05:39 PM, Bas Roufs wrote:
>> [spaces]
>> space between search<and>  -f
>> space between -f<and>  /vmlinuz
>>
>> no other space anywhere.
>
> Now I do get some apparently useful output. I show you what has
> happened. Let's first look at this before trying the new procedure you
> mailed to me a few minutes ago.
> grub>  search -f  /vmlinuz
> hd0, 1
> grub>  (blinkering cursor here)
>
> Note: I see one<space>  between "hd0," and "1".
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

No , that's not good...sorry, you dont have /vmlinuz
Looks like your last kernel update or grub update is mucked.

Follow my last message, you may want to use the older kernel to boot,
not the lastest kernel, when booted, remove the lastest kernel (by
synaptic, search using "linux-image", totally remove latest kernel),
then reinstall by update, upgrade. and dont' forget
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.