"Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu Karmic/ WinXP)

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Apr 8 09:13:57 UTC 2010

On 04/08/2010 05:03 PM, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Thx. for your quick reply!
>
>> Bas, please watch for spelling and spaces..
>>
>> search -f /vmlinuz
>
> When typing with one space between "search" and "-f/vmlinuz" I get
> again the following:
>
> error: unknown argument '-/'.
>
> When typing without any space, I type the following:
> search-f/vmlinuz
>
> This is the output I get after hitting the enter key:
> error: unknown command 'search-f/vmlinuz".
>
> I have also typed:
> search -f /vmlinuz
> This is what I get in that case:
> error: no such device: /vmlinuz
>
> Finally I typed:
> search -f/ vmlinuz
> The output in this case is:
> error: unknown argument '-/'.
>
> Probably, I have used now every thinkable variant of the search
> command you propose to me.
> Any other idea?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Bas,

[spaces]
space between search <and> -f
space between -f <and> /vmlinuz

no other space anywhere.

But If you cannot get through this, lets skip this and go to step [3[,
try either one of the
(hd1,6) sdb6

or
(hd1,7) sdb7

Alternatively,
you can also type at grub prompt
ls (hd1,6)/boot/

and
ls (hd1,7)/boot/

What gives any output, and use that.

Also you can try, at grub prompt
cat (hd1,6)/etc/lsb-release
or
cat (hd1,7)/etc/lsb-release

Bas, please type and spell with spacing carefully, I know you cannot
copy and paste, if can, please do it.

Good luck.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.