"Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu Karmic/ WinXP)

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Apr 8 00:36:59 BST 2010

On 04/08/2010 03:51 AM, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Goh Lip and everybody else

Bas, good to hear you've got a good cdrom.

Let's get started. There's no need to use livecd. Just the grub-rescue-cd.

[1]
> I send to you direct an iso file, named grubstand.iso. Burn iso image on
> cd and when started up, you'll get to a grub prompt. Always good to
> check with "search -f /vmlinuz" to get the partition of kubuntu. (note
> (hd1,1) will be sdb1).

So when at grub prompt, type
search -f /vmlinuz

Note down the output, from your message using live cd, it should be either
hd1,6   or hd1,7
NOT hd1,8 as this will be swap.

[2]
> I've set up a grub.cfg file in that iso. To get to that menu type
> configfile /grub.cfg

Then type
configfile /grub.cfg

[3]

> scroll to 'Vmlinux' entry, press 'e' to edit and you'll get

> linux '(hd0,8)'/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro
> initrd '(hd0,8)'/initrd.img

You should then edit it to (if output of [1] is hd1,6)
linux '(hd1,6)'/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb6 ro
initrd '(hd1,6)'/initrd.img

[OR] (if output of [1] is hd1,7)
linux '(hd1,7)'/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb7 ro
initrd '(hd1,7)'/initrd.img

[NOT]
>> linux '(sdb1,8)'/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro
>> initrd '(sdb,8)'/initrd.img
[NOT]
>> linux '(sdb1)'/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro
>> initrd '(sdb1)'/initrd.img

[4]
> Amend the (hd0,8) and sda8 to the partition output of the search. Then
> 'alt + x' to boot.

alt + x

[NOT]
>> Afterwords, I pressed Control-x to boot, as suggested at the screen.
>> But nothing happens.

[5]

When booted into Kubuntu, you must do this at terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Regards, good luck - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.