Adding a drive

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Mon Apr 5 22:23:44 UTC 2010

On Monday 05 April 2010 10:07:49 am Basil Chupin wrote:

> > On 05/04/2010, Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> Ah, a most interesting point. I have taken a note of this, thanks very
> >> much.
> >
> > Not using a UUID goes against Ubuntu standard practice (and upcoming
> > Debian standard practice).
> >
> > It should be standard operating procedure for anyone about to embark
> > on any of the above partition changes to make a note of the UUIDs (if
> > she/he does not have this information saved offline) in order to
> > reassign them (a very simple procedure).
>
> And thanks for this.
>
> I understand that the use of UUIDS is a more stable way of identifying
> HDs for grub as the BIOS may on occasions "see" them in a different
> order on bootups.
>
> BC

UUID's are the way to /always/ identify a particular partition.  Since they
should not change vey often, it really isn't much of a problem.  The only time
you may want to identify them by /dev/sc# is if you have a partition that you
test new distros/releases on (that you want quick access to the data) and gets
reformatted frequently.
It also teaches you to make the right size partitions.  Especially if you are
lazy!

--
Alan

"Now no one has to tell an old Aberdeene pub-crawler how to applaud, captain."
Montgomery Scott