Adding a drive

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 09:17:38 BST 2010

2010/4/3 Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au>:
> On 03/04/10 03:58, Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2010/4/2 Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>:
>>
>>> I am using Kubuntu Karmic.
>>>
>>> If I was to add another HD to my system, how do I go about doing this
>>> especially formatting it and giving it a mount point for fstab (eg, /data)?
>>>
>>> As far as I can see there is no partitioner in Kubuntu. (I had to format a
>>> flash memory stick yesterday and had to use another distro to do this, but
>>> can this be done in Kubuntu?)
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> You can install partitionmanager which is a KDE program or gparted
>> which is a Gnome program. Both let you manipulate partition and format
>> them.
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> Many thanks!
>
> Is partionmanager the same as the one used during the installation of
> Kubuntu when the HDs are recognised, formatted and the information
> written to fstab or is there another application which the installer
> uses? In asking this I am asking if after partitioning and formatting a
> drive do I then to manually add it to fstab or will partitionmanager do
> this for me (as it is done during the original installation stage of
> Kubuntu)?

I don't think they are the same and if I remember right you have to
manually edit your /etc/fstab. But thats not that difficult, check the
partitions UUID with the blkid command and add something like this to
your fstab: UUID=f2433f1a-5b15-4d50-976e-30e45eeeae11 /
ext4    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
See "man fstab" for more information.

/ Jonas