removed widgets reappear upon restart in KDE4.3.1

Nitesh Mistry mistrynitesh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:13:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Nitesh Mistry<mistrynitesh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I recently upgraded to KDE 4.3.1 using the backport repos on lauchpad
> ppa.
> > Later, I tested some of the desktop widgets, but removed them. However,
> > whenever I restart the computer, these widgets reappear and I have to
> > manually remove them on each reboot.
> >
> > Is there something I can do myself, or should I report a bug?
> >

> I had a similar problem, one widget would always reappear after a
> reboot no mater how I tried to remove it. It turned out that it was a
> "left over" config options in
> ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc i think. Look in it and
> try to find a reference to the widgets and delete them or delete the
> whole file. I't could be that you need to log out of your KDE session
> in that case do it from a console or another user.

Thanks, it worked.

Deleted the file you mentioned and logged in again. Everything on the
desktop got cleaned up (everything includes the default wallpaper, other
widgets on the desktop as well as on panel, etc). Added back the ones that I
wanted. Logged out and logged in again to check if the erring widgets
returned. They did not.

I guess it was the 'system monitor' widget that was creating the problem.
Don't know which package to report the bug about!

--
Nitesh
http://techformyself.blogspot.com