Wireless doesn't work on new Toshiba laptop

Macario Valle macariov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:23:44 UTC 2009

I have one of those.  I have it with double boot.  On the default partition,
i first installed Kububnu, which I would prefer to have.  it never
connected, no matter what I did, so I ended up trying, and later installing,
plain Ubuntu, which works neatly. Ah! my windows partition always connects
as well, but i have full wifi strength most of the time, though.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 21 August 2009 1:24:11 am Jerry Lapham wrote:
>
> > On Sunday I picked up one of the Walmart special $348 Toshiba Satellite
> 17
> > inch laptops (Laptop2) and was unable to connect wireless under Win Vista
> .
> >  I installed Kubuntu 9.04 and eventually got network-manager to connect
> > intermittently, but not for long.  I was never able to actually get a web
> > page to load.  I couldn't even ping.
> >
> > Yesterday evening I installed wicd on Laptop2 and I think I see the
> > problem. The "Connected to jerry at ..." rate varies rapidly between 100%
> > and 0% with occasional instances of 2% and 4%.  I still have not been
> able
> > to load a web page but I do once in a while get back some pings.
> >
> > My old laptop's "Connected to jerry at ..." rate varies from around 40%
> > 50% (it's a few feet farther from the router.)  It's been connected and
> > working all day.
> >
> > Any ideas what I can do to get Laptop2 to work wireless?
>
> Update:
>
> When I connect while running  Windows it shows signal strength as "poor"
> with
> the first and sometimes the second bar lit but I can transfer files and
> surf
> the net with Firefox.  This is when the laptop is just a few feet from the
> router.  If I take it down the hall about 25 feet, I lose the connection.
>
> Right now I have Kubuntu 9.04 running and wicd shows it connected at 32%
> but
> when I ping the router, I get "Destination Host Unreachable."  Firefox and
> Kmail can't find anything either.  Why can Windows work at these signal
> strenths and Kubuntu can't?
>
> I intend to complain to Toshiba about the signal strength problem (my old
> laptop connects downstairs on the back porch) but I'd like to narrow it
> down
> to just that before I talk to them.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>        -Jerry