single *_grub_* partition for many distros

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Sep 26 13:02:48 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:

>> Looking at your examples below Goh, I've got a couple more questions. First
>> is about *_NOT_* using {long string of imaginative expletives deleted} UUID
>> to identify a partition. For instance, If I install karmic on /dev/sda5
>> would I be able to use something like this??? :
>>
>> menuentry "Karmic" {
>>   	set root=(hd0,5)
>>   	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro vga=normal
>>   	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-10-generic
>>   }
>

> I would think so, just that I just copied the same stuff from Karmic. I
> also understand why you want to this. Before doing it, make a copy of
> old, just in case.

Additional note, BEFORE you do the above, best you make a grub2.iso cd.

grub-mkrescue gggrub.iso

where gggrub.iso (or any name you wish) is name of iso file which will
be created. If command is at home, the gggrub.iso will be created at home.
Burn iso image of file on cd.

This will ensure if we mess up, we can still enter into OS.
Note this iso will NOT contain any grub.cfg entries. There is now a new
method to create with grub.cfg, but I have to check that up. But with
the "configfile" and "chainload" entries (enter manually), you can enter
any OS from that CD, whether or not you have any grub partition or
messed up your mbr.

To check which partition is available. type just "ls"
To check which partition has menu.lst, type
search -f /boot/grub/menu.lst
To check which partition has grub.cfg, type
search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg

regards,
Goh Lip