home network through router

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 23:41:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Kuntadi said the following on 09/23/2009 07:15 PM:
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The router DNS table shows each laptop's connection device and assigned
>>> ip address 192.168.2.3 to the wifi and ip address
>>> 192.168.2.2 to the eth0 cable.
>>>
>>> I want to share some folders between the laptops.
>>
>> Are the laptops able to ping each other?
>
> Yes.
> Also, I had the same hostname on each laptop, so changed one of those.
>
> Also, I had just installed nfs support, not samba.  So, now, I've gone
> back and added samba to both machines.
>
> Now, in PLACES > NETWORK I click on Windows Network icon and I get an
> icon with my router (network) name on it.

If both your laptops are 9.04, why are you using windows networking?
I'd recommend
1) make sure you can ssh between the machines
2) in konqueror or dolphin, use the URLs sftp://192.168.2.3/ and
sftp://192.168.2.2/ to look at the files on the other machine.

Once you find the directory you are interested in you can bookmark it
so you never have to type it again.

Michael