Multiboot

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 23:26:49 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
>> Mark Fraser wrote:

>>> Except that you're not *supposed* to edit that file and hence why it is set as
>>> read only.
>>>

>> Yes, you are right, "not supposed", but changes will be effected till
>> the next grub upgrade where it will revert to the original sequence.
>> Making permanent changes 'according to procedure' is as follows.. edit
>> /etc/default/grub
>> (a little bit risky if not used to it, but there is a back up)
>>
>> Then do
>> sudo grub-mkconfig
>> to check at terminal if entries are okay.
>>
>> If okay, commit by
>> sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> But as in the case of menu.lst, changing default number may also mess up
>> the order when new entries (kernels) are added, rendering wrong boot as
>> well. So I would suggest just changing grub.cfg (like in menu.lst) and
>> modify again when kernels are added. Well, if you want to change default
>> number, it's up to you. Are there any alternative?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Goh Lip
>>

> Appendum
>

> Modifying default number would also require changing the default number
> when kernels or grub is updated. And through a much more convoluted
> process at that. Is there another proposal?

using "saved" instead of a number? does this still work in grub2? i
always used it in menu.lst since other than kubuntu i have other OSes,
and i always would rather see the last OS used. there are days when i'm
only playing on Windows, days for working on kubutnu, and days for
tinkering on SUSE. "saved" saved my time during reboots.

and thanks Goh for the instructions above, i was editing grub.cfg
durectly for the last few weeks, just random changes to see how it
works. this new file looks scary compared to menu.lst's simpleness :P

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems