Multiboot

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Sep 23 20:57:22 UTC 2009

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 September 2009 18:28:10 Goh Lip wrote:
>> Mario Andes wrote:
>>> I have installed the newest Karmic edition! There is a new startup menu
>>> where I can select the OS I want to use. Unfortunately in /boot/grub
>>> there is no menu.lst! How can I change the order of the entries?
>>>
>>> Mario
>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Except that you're not *supposed* to edit that file and hence why it is set as
> read only.

Yes, you are right, "not supposed", but changes will be effected till
the next grub upgrade where it will revert to the original sequence.
Making permanent changes 'according to procedure' is as follows.. edit
/etc/default/grub
(a little bit risky if not used to it, but there is a back up)

Then do
sudo grub-mkconfig
to check at terminal if entries are okay.

If okay, commit by
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But as in the case of menu.lst, changing default number may also mess up
the order when new entries (kernels) are added, rendering wrong boot as
well. So I would suggest just changing grub.cfg (like in menu.lst) and
modify again when kernels are added. Well, if you want to change default
number, it's up to you. Are there any alternative?

Regards,
Goh Lip