Kubuntu Alpha's

Sascha G├╝thling guethling at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:56:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand what is wrong or misleading with comparing version
>> numbers. If a newer version becomes available it will be installed by
>> the update mechanism. At the end (meaning after an update) the whole
>> system should only contain the newest versions of all installed
>> packages
>
> The problem is the word "should" which in my unfortunate experience is
> not reliable. I will contend that *buntu is better than, say, Fedora
> in bringing experimental software up to production level, but it is
> dangerous to rely on. All goes well for several update cycles, then
> the one time that it bites you in the butt you will jump sides of the
> fence and preach the "dont do it" side like I do.
>

>> and obsolete packages should have been removed.
>
> Unless you installed something that depends on it. Then you get into a
> mess with unsupported or outdated packages that other software assumes
> does not exist.

This is exactly why you should remove any unsupported software before
you upgrade. That is what each upgrade tutorial will tell you. The
*ubuntu team can only test their own repositories to work with each
other. You can't blame them if some other software relies on something
that they think is outdated/obsolete.

>> So if the
>> repository stays the same I should be able to update all the way from
>> alpha1 to the final release. Right?
>>

> Again, you are relying on "should". Think of reinstalling the final
> version as a vaccine: you usually don't need it, but if it saves you
> hassle you won't even know about it.

With reinstalling you rely on "should" as well. The repository the CD
image is made of is only the most refined stage of all the alphas,
betas and release candidates. Nobody sits down and creates a
completely new repository and defines all the dependencies from
scratch before they make the CD. Imagine how many errors that would
have with the thousands of packages it contains. They take a snapshot
that is assumed to be as stable as possible and call it the final
release. The repository on the server stays the same. With all it's
dependencies and all the possible errors.
After the first update you do on your newly installed system, you have
exactly the same software on your system that I have on mine.
(assuming no extra software installed on either of them).

> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il