grub error 18

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 22 02:21:37 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Serious, surely.  Confused?  Perhaps.  Jaunty never _reinstalls_ grub.
>> It
>> may well _update_ grub (using "update-grub").  It does that whenever
>> there's
>> a kernel update.  It also does it whenever anything _else_ gets installed
>> that sets a trigger for update-grub (libc6 updates, certainly; I haven't
>> really paid attention to what else does it).
>>
> Can you prove that it does not do that when there are NO updates.

No, I can't prove it, and I'm not even sure that _only_ updates could
trigger update-grub - but I _am_ certain it would be an update, not an
actual "install".  Is that a terribly important difference?  Probably not...

> BTW, that also implies that update-grub must
> be doing something wrong to install a grub that will not work but a
> manual setup(hd0) in the grub console in the LiveCD installs one that
> works.

Absolutely - whatever your underlying problem, and the mechanics that
trigger it, I have no doubt there's something wrong in the update-grub
process.  All I can say with certainty is that I don't have a problem
anymore.
--
derek