Kubuntu Alpha's

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:15:27 UTC 2009

> Derek:
> I agree (not only) with your 3rd point. I actually use my test
> installation for all kinds of tests. I test programs and
> configurations on it before I transfer them to my production system.
> That's why I have a test installation. If I break something I can
> still work with the other one. My production system gets upgraded to
> the next version when it is officially released.

Always a good idea. I personally partition like this:
sda1: OS / (production or testing)
sda2: OS / (production or testing, the opposite of sda1)
sda3: /swap
sda4: /home

I test in sda[1|2] and then reinstall there when the software is
released. Then the other one becomes the testing partition. I keep my
/home partion but change the username for each distro install, so that
conflicting config files don't cause problems (think KDE3 -> KDE4 for
instance).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com