Kubuntu Alpha's

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:09:54 UTC 2009

> I don't understand what is wrong or misleading with comparing version
> numbers. If a newer version becomes available it will be installed by
> the update mechanism. At the end (meaning after an update) the whole
> system should only contain the newest versions of all installed
> packages

The problem is the word "should" which in my unfortunate experience is
not reliable. I will contend that *buntu is better than, say, Fedora
in bringing experimental software up to production level, but it is
dangerous to rely on. All goes well for several update cycles, then
the one time that it bites you in the butt you will jump sides of the
fence and preach the "dont do it" side like I do.

> and obsolete packages should have been removed.

Unless you installed something that depends on it. Then you get into a
mess with unsupported or outdated packages that other software assumes
does not exist.

> So if the
> repository stays the same I should be able to update all the way from
> alpha1 to the final release. Right?

Again, you are relying on "should". Think of reinstalling the final
version as a vaccine: you usually don't need it, but if it saves you
hassle you won't even know about it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com