grub error 18

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Sep 22 07:11:41 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Goh Lip wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>

>>> Hey, are you not going to help an old geezer out? List of grub2 packages
>>> for Jaunty please so I can put them on a thumbdrive.
>>>

>> Well, okay, since you have said 'sorry' and 'please, pretty, please'
>> and I take it your yawn is not the 'dun teach your grandmother how to
>> suck eggs' yawn but the cantonese 'I am stuck' yawn.....
>>
>> o Sure method, won't fail method.
>> Reinstall jaunty, create a /boot partition not more than 150 Mb in the
>> *first* partition and install boot there.
>>

> this old man ain't keen on carrying the box home again so that he can
> update it and install some other stuff over the Net.
>

>> o Should work method.. (not that arrogant to think it is 100% sure)
>> When you get jaunty to boot up, not livecd,
>> sudo install grub-pc
>>
> So you are saying that both grub and grub2 are installed by Jaunty by
> default? Well, I most certainly hope grub2 ain't at fault since the menu
> file I looked at was most bewildering and smacks of grub2 if you ask me.
>

>> At new grub installation follow instructions carefully, esp the 'upgrade
>> from legacy' part.
>>
>> Do I have the package to pass to you? No.
>>
>> o 'I would have done if I were you' method.
>> Install karmic, even if it is alpha.
>>

> Ick. Even grub2 has bug reports in karmic. I am not too sure about
> trading up for more instability...not for a box that ain't connected to
> the Net.
>
>> "loh yeh, mun mun lei, ng sai kan cheong"
>> goh lip
>>

> "Hai tao ban hau san chai ah, ah sook"

"Ah sook" then, jaunty installs only grub-legacy, not grub2. When
installation is for whole hd, as in your case, the menu.lst will not
look like the 'usual' menu.lst, but without looking at your menu.lst, we
won't know if there is anything unusual. But definately, grub2 is *not*
installed.

IMO, karmic alpha is more stable than jaunty. And..grub2... ah, you know
what I am going to say.

It is your computer, your decision, and your call. You have our comments
and we can only wish you luck.

"Hau san chai"
goh lip