grub error 18

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Sep 22 03:20:52 UTC 2009

David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> You missed a few more things too. Don't you think I should also go for
>>
>> 4. After reboot, see grub error 18, fix in LiveCD, get menu.lst
>> 5. repeat 4 until you die of old age trying find differences in the
>> menu.lst file.
>>

> Instead of step 4 and 5 I have mentioned in previous post:
>
> file a bug report.

Yes...but it won't be against a kernel package.

>> I highly doubt that a kernel package is the problem. After all, it does
>> its thing only during the upgrade process of apt/synaptic/adept and
>> should not have any more effect on subsequent reboots right? And if it
>> was a problem, the simple setup command in grub would not have got
>> around it. Faulty entries in menu.lst cannot be part of the problem here.
>>

> Nope. The upgrade would not come into effect until the next boot.
> After kernel upgrade, the current session is still using old kernel.
> If the menu.lst are updated properly, you would boot to new kernel.

The problem is not whether I can boot the latest kernel.

> But some users reported they are using the old kernel as the menu.lst
> is not updated due to it was editted manually before.

Too bad I did not touch menu.lst.

I did not even get to see grub stage1.5 loading and a countdown to let
me choose a menu or in other words, the faulty grub installation never
got to stage2. The problem has nothing to do with loading a kernel or
menu.lst