grub error 18

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:45:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> You missed a few more things too. Don't you think I should also go for
>
> 4. After reboot, see grub error 18, fix in LiveCD, get menu.lst
> 5. repeat 4 until you die of old age trying find differences in the
> menu.lst file.

Instead of step 4 and 5 I have mentioned in previous post:

file a bug report.

> I highly doubt that a kernel package is the problem. After all, it does
> its thing only during the upgrade process of apt/synaptic/adept and
> should not have any more effect on subsequent reboots right? And if it
> was a problem, the simple setup command in grub would not have got
> around it. Faulty entries in menu.lst cannot be part of the problem here.

Nope. The upgrade would not come into effect until the next boot.
After kernel upgrade, the current session is still using old kernel.
If the menu.lst are updated properly, you would boot to new kernel.
But some users reported they are using the old kernel as the menu.lst
is not updated due to it was editted manually before.

DK