Compiling for an Older OS version

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue Sep 22 02:20:19 UTC 2009

Abhishek Bisaria wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there a way of compiling a C++ code on a newer version of Linux which
> would run on an older version.
>
> My issue is that my application needs to run on a machine which has
> quite an older version of Linux than my computer.
> My last resort is to re-install Linux on my computer but that would take
> a lot of effort so I am trying to find an easier way.
>
> Thanks
> --Abhishek

You can, but it basically means installing at least a base install of
the older version on your newer computer if I am not mistaken. I am not
familiar with the process. What distro is the older version? I know in
Ubuntu, there is a system called pbuilder that allows packagers and
developer work on things for multiple versions of Ubuntu, so there must
be a method to do what you want.

Worst case scenario (assuming you are unable to compile software on the
older machine at all) would be to use virtualbox on your new machine to
install a virtual version of your older OS and compile it there

I am sure there are other options out there, though.

clay