grub error 18

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:13:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Man...I well know that the upgrade was done when Adept did its thing and
> not afterwards during the shutdown. What I am saying is that BEFORE the
> upgrade, I had no problems with grub. After the upgrade I have continual
> problems with grub. Something in the updates has introduced a bug is
> what I am getting at. I cannot think of another reason since
> reinstalling grub from the LiveCD gets me into the installed Jaunty so
> grub/bios/cylinder 1024+ cannot be the issue. Otherwise, I should have
> got a problem after installation and be forced to put /boot in its own
> partition.

Well, then we are closer to the root cause. In this case to be
perfect, get the /boot/grub/menu.lst:
1. right after fresh install.
2. After package/kernel upgrade (which is when you get error 18).
3. After re-install grub using live cd.

But the best if you could identify which package are causing the
errror, I suspect kernel upgrade. In that case, get the kernel (
uname -r):

1. right after the fresh install
2. after re-install grub using live cd.

Then you are loaded for a bug report.