grub error 18

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 01:16:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> David Kuntadi wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>>
>>> Just wait till I get my hands on the box this weekend. I am certain that
>>> there will be no changes at all to menu.1st because 1) the box is not
>>> connected to the Internet anymore and
>>>

>> Not connected to internet? So, what is the meaning of "update" in your
>>
> What part of 'anymore' do you not understand?

Then, the "anymore" part is not related with package upgrade, which
causing the menu.lst (NOT menu.1st) to be overwritten. Hence, it is
not a proper logical argument to overruled menu.lst updated.

> /me sighs. How not assuming that I am some dumb idiot? The box was taken
> home where I have an Internet connection, installed, updated, then taken
> back to the hall which does not have Internet connectivity to be used.
> Its primary purpose is to run some reference software written for
> Windows but due to not having any Windows XP license, I recommended Wine
> on Linux. Unfortunately, I assumed no problems after the update and so
> now I can only troubleshoot the thing on weekends since I took it back
> without first booting it up after the update.

In that case, it is quite certain that "is not connected to the
Internet anymore" is irrelevant to package/kernel upgrade, which is
done when there is internet connection.

> Please note, that the grub problem has been fixed multiple times because
> I also, in my not so infinite wisdom, took the LiveCD to the hall which
> enabled me to run the grub from the LiveCD. Therefore my finger pointing
> at something being done during shutdown.

Nope. The update is done during package upgrade. May be you come from
MS windows logical thinking i.e. certain upgrade is done during
shutdown. What I understand, in ubuntu all upgrades are done during
package upgrade, using either preinst script or postinst script in the
package (and may be other scripts as well). If you want to
troubleshoot, look at those script and not the shutdown script.

DK