grub error 18

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 22 00:13:38 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> You are not serious are you? Jaunty reinstalls grub each and every time
>>> you shut it down?
>>
>> I can also testify that it does something.  I finally got tired of the
>> WTF syndrome on the next reboot and applied the +i attribute to menu.lst,
>> unless _I_ want to edit it.
>
>Oh, now that is interesting...I guess I will just have to spend some
>time going through the scripts when I have access this weekend.

Well, to me its a moot point now, as that machine has been "re-purposed" to
act as an eventual machine control system using emc-2.3.0 or newer, and that
requires ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Side comment here:  I am not a gnome fan, I cannot stand the nannying gnome
does, constantly aggravating a root user at everything he wants to do. Or at
least it did.  I been a kde fan since kde-1.0 days because it actually
trusted the user even when he was root.  But the gnome installed by that 8.04
LTS, when customized so that RTAI can be used, is one sweet install!  I could
actually learn to like it, so obviously the gnome folks HAVE been listening
to our belly-aching about its warts & nannying.  I've found I can do most
daily operations without needing to be root, and that helps, a lot.

Such a recanting of my previous position, coming from this old fart, is worth
note.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic angular
momentum.