grub error 18

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Sep 22 00:06:51 UTC 2009

David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> Well, the rational is rather simple. grub stage2 has the ability to walk
>> through the filesystem to look for files and to cat them. So really, the
>> menu file should be the last thing that makes trouble for grub but since
>> Gene does a chattr +i I might just try that although I am of the opinion
>> that +i really just messes up whatever is trying to reinstall grub
>> during shutdown and so it ends up NOT  reinstalling grub.
>>

> I think you should give up the "during shutdown" concept. I have
> explained (and also Derek Broughton) that the grub updated during
> package upgrade, not during shutdown.
>
> The chatttr +i would make you use old kernel, when there is a kernel
> update. But to check the /boot/gurb/menu.lst before and after upgrade
> is very simple. Also ls -n /dev/disk/by-uuid  is very simple as well.

One single IDE disk. You expect changes in uuid? ???

By the way, maybe you can also explain how just reinstalling grub using
the grub in the LiveCD environment fixes things without have to touch
menu.1st shows that there is a problem with menu.1st?
> I am not sure why you would not do it........ Oooh, I understand, it
> is shutdown script !!!!! :)

Just wait till I get my hands on the box this weekend. I am certain that
there will be no changes at all to menu.1st because 1) the box is not
connected to the Internet anymore and 2) no hardware changes necessitate
an update to the initrd image. The whole saga of continuous grub error
18 (note: no 'loading...' before error 18 too) is still there after grub
was fixed by using the LiveCD after the updates were done.